Thursday, July 16, 2009

Protesting Obama

I was advised that perhaps I should use this blog as a platform for recording my activities in political activism. I realized that while there are a great number of bloggers and pundits throughout the information superhighway, a great percentage aren't active in the field. Those activists that do all the great work in the field of picket lines, signature gathering, flier distribution and all the other great work they do don't always have the time to blog about it.

So, let us begin with President Obama's appearance at Macomb Community College in Warren Michigan on Tuesday the 14th.

I arrived on campus at 12:20 or so and pulled into one of the main lots. The students and faculty don't have parking permits that I could see and the County Sheriff I spoke with said my car was fine where it was. He showed me where we were allowed to protest, according to the college's free speech zone regulations, and I settled down in my car for a Jimmy Johns sandwich and Rush Limbaugh.

It was a matter of five or ten minutes before the patriots began to gather. It seemed that the huge "Don't Tread on Me" flag being waved by a young man behind my car attracted them like bees to clover. Young, old, dapper, tattered, laughing, frowning, cussing, eloquent, they were of all stripes. I met a bricklayer, 200 retirees, black men, black women, pro-lifers, anti-war morons, greenies and children. Before long the cops came back and asked me how many we were expecting . I told him 200 and he looked at me skeptically. 3 hours later I saw the same cop and he smiled and said, "Oh, 400 or so. Plus those down there.", pointing to the other side of campus. I looked and saw another 150 or so.

We walked and chanted with the help of a good man who's got a great sense of humor and a biting sense of sarcasm. "Did We elect a marxist?!" He bawled into the megaphone. "YES WE DID!!!!!" Came the reply. "Walk in a circle, that's what the liberals do! It makes it look like there's more of us." He ordered. So we did.

(More to Come Tomorrow.)




No comments:

Post a Comment